LANAP® Laser Treatment New York City
Stop periodontal disease with a gentle and highly effective approach. Dr. Scott Kissel offers patients in Manhattan, New York City LANAP laser treatment conducted with a microscope. Dr. Kissel is one of the first periodontists in New York City and Manhattan to combine the advantages of the microscope with LANAP. Used together, these instruments allow for the removal of more tartar and significantly increase the likelihood of reattachment of gum tissue or regeneration of bone to your tooth. It can also be used to treat ailing implants.
The laser-assisted new attachment procedure (LANAP) is:
- The only FDA-accepted laser protocol for gum disease treatment.
- Shown through research and histological studies to remove bacteria that causes gum disease.
Because there’s no scalpel involved, you don’t require incisions to remove tissue and bacteria, and you preserve more of your healthy gum tissue.
What Is LANAP?
Dr. Kissel has received training in the use of the PerioLase® MVP-7™. This extremely precise laser targets and eliminates bacteria between the gum and teeth.
In LANAP, Dr. Kissel uses gentle pulses of laser light to destroy bacteria and diseased tissue. He also breaks up tartar deposits in the gumline and uses techniques to encourage reattachment of gum tissue and bone regeneration. There is no cutting or sutures involved.
One of the reasons New York City LANAP patients choose Dr. Kissel for their treatment is for his advanced skills in microscopic procedures. This approach allows him to see and remove significantly more tartar. As a result, you are less likely to need follow-up surgery and more likely to control periodontal disease.
Benefits of LANAP
- Treatment gives the body a chance to heal itself, helping you avoid more invasive surgery.
- You will experience less discomfort, inflammation, and bleeding because there are no incisions and because the laser eliminates bacteria and preserves healthy tissue.
- You can expect to be back to normal activities in less than a day.
- Unlike traditional gum disease treatment, LANAP will not lower the gumline significantly. This helps prevent cosmetic concerns and future dental problems.
- Research shows that the procedure stimulates new bone growth around existing teeth, adding support and strength.
Many patients are good candidates for LANAP, and the procedure offers them the opportunity to save teeth that may otherwise be a lost cause.
Antibiotics or irrigation with anti-microbials (chemical agents or mouth rinses) may be recommended to help control the growth of bacteria that create toxins and cause periodontitis. In some cases, Dr. Kissel may place a local antibiotic in the periodontal pockets after scaling and planing. This may be done to control infection and to encourage normal healing.
What New York City LANAP Patients Can Expect
Manhattan and New York City patients can schedule an appointment with Dr. Kissel to control periodontal disease and repair damage to your oral health. During your procedure, Dr. Kissel will:
- Provide you with The Wand, local anesthetic system to give you greater comfort during the procedure.
- Examine your mouth to see how deep your gum pockets are and how much connective tissue and bone has detached from the tooth roots.
- Use a microscope to see and remove more of the tartar that is causing periodontal disease.
- Aim gentle pulses of laser light into the gum pockets and the tartar deposits beneath the gumline, destroying bacteria and diseased tissue. The laser will not impact your healthy gums and tissue.
- Use the laser to create protective seals around the teeth to encourage gum reattachment to the root surfaces. This makes stitches unnecessary.
Dr. Kissel may also recommend adjusting your bite to promote healing and provide your teeth with greater comfort and stability in the future. This is particularly important for teeth that have suffered bone loss.
Recovery from LANAP is mild. You can manage any discomfort with over-the-counter pain medication. Plan to adjust your diet to very soft foods for about three days, moving to soft foods for one week before returning to your normal diet.
Stop the spread of gum disease with less pain. Call Dr. Scott Kissel, New York City and Manhattan LANAP expert, today at 212-702-9088 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.
If you’d like more information on LANAP, please click here to download the LANAP Laser Pack.