Can I Still Get Cavities Under My All-on-4 Implants?
New York City residents who have undergone All-on-4 dental implants, either for a cosmetic smile makeover or to restore lost dental functionality due to missing or diseased teeth, have already gone through their fair share of dental procedures. After all, getting all your teeth extracted and then replaced is a big deal! It’s no wonder that All-on-4 patients have questions about their new dental implants, including what type of potential complications they may encounter with them. One of the most frequently asked questions by these patients is, “If I get All-on-4 dental implants, can I still get cavities?”
Dental Implants Can’t Get Cavities!
There’s good news for New York City periodontal patients who have had dental implants or All-on-4 treatment. Because both the titanium rods that function as the tooth roots and the zirconia crowns that function as your new teeth are not natural teeth – they can’t be penetrated by plaque and bacteria. That means you can’t get cavities! Goodbye, teeth drilling!
All-on-4 Implants Still Require You to Practice Proper Oral Hygiene
Cavity prevention isn’t the only reason that a New York City resident should practice proper oral hygiene. Even if you have All-on-4s and have no natural teeth left, you still need to take care of your mouth and have regular dental visits. Although you can’t get cavities, you can still get gum disease, a condition that can complicate the bone fusion process of dental implants and lead to dental implants failure. Additionally, if you don’t properly care for your implants, you may develop an infection underneath them called peri-implantitis, another condition that can cause your implants to become loose or fall out.
New York City All-on-4 patients should:
- Brush their teeth two times daily;
- Floss their teeth one time a day;
- Maintain bi-annual dental appointments for regular checkups and cleanings; and
- Visit their periodontist at least once a year, if not more, for a routine checkup; and examination of their dental implants.
Additional Benefits of All-on-4s:
In addition to being cavity resistant, All-on-4s offer a number of benefits, including:
- They are a natural looking replacement option for missing teeth or an aesthetically pleasing solution for a total smile makeover;
- They function just like natural teeth, so you can eat and chew anything you want without risking them slipping, sliding or cracking;
- The titanium rods stimulate jawbone growth so that you won’t suffer jawbone tissue loss; and
- When properly cared for, they are designed to last a lifetime.
Learning More About All-on-4 Implants
Periodontist and All-on-4 dental implants specialist Dr. Kissel understands that replacing all of your teeth – whether it be for functional or cosmetic reasons – is a BIG deal. That’s why he spends as much time as needed explaining the implant surgery process with his New York City patients and answering any questions that they have.
If you are ready for a smile makeover, the best thing you can do is call Dr. Kissel’s office at (212) 702-9088 to schedule a consultation where you can thoroughly discuss your desired treatment and outcome with Dr. Kissel.